Thursday, June 12, 2008

Why, Thank You, Kind Sir

Today I'm just going to gibber about one of the nicest compliments I can remember having received.

You may recall that I spoke in my last post of my habit of casting away compliments aimed at me. If you cared to try it (which I don't recommend), you'd find it's a habit that comes remarkably easy.
It's not that a girl can't appreciate the effort when the guys she's acquainted with comment on her appearance or charm or what-have-you. But those things are easy enough to say and just as easy to disregard.
It's all well and good to hear: "You're pretty," "You're fun," "Nice hair," "You're cool," "You're sweet," and... yeah... whatever. Thanks.
Any such compliment coming from a gal's male friends can be taken with a grain of salt because, whether intentional or not, it seems to be laced with a hint of something that sounds like, "Someone else is going to think you're gorgeous and fall hopelessly in love," or "You're wonderful - for some other guy."

Compare that now with how it might feel to hear someone whose judgment you trust, and whose opinion you respect, saying, "I would consider you worth dating myself."

...D'you see the difference?

The latter may not even have to be intended as a compliment, but rather stated simply as an honest confession. But it shows her a degree of admiration that any of those other compliments could never hope to measure up to.

To the studly man honest enough and brave enough to give such a compliment, I say thank you. Most sincerely and delightedly.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Quote - "The difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between the lightning and a lightning bug," Mark Twain
Music - "Affirmation," Savage Garden
Mood - Beautiful

7 comments:

Obliviocelot said...

I got stuck playing a game of tag, so now you're it. :P The rules are on my blog.

dubby said...

*sardonic laugh*

I look forward to your answers.

dubby said...

June 12th. You last updated on JUNE 12th!!!! I look every day, just so ya' know...

dubby said...

Your adoring fans continue to await your appearance. (But I can see that I have been changing my picture a lot)

Hyrôme said...

BOOOOOOOOOO Hillary and her lack of updates!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Yep, we're all waiting... and waiting... and... zzzzzz.

Obliviocelot said...

Geez, haven't you updated YET??? Are you DEAD?