Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Dress

So I have this dress...

It's a beautiful thing - my shade of green (emerald, that is), elegant, and perfectly wonderful. Very likely the best DI find I've ever made - and that's an impressive statement. I love the way I look in it, and I love the way I feel in it. How do I look and feel? Lovely.

So this morning as I was getting ready for church, I tried it on - just for the heckuvit. My roommate exclaimed "You look like an elven princess!" In response I laughed and made to go change into something else, but she talked me out of it.

So roughly an hour and a half later, I scampered my way up to church in this lovely little number. Once I was inside the building, I put my shoes on, then walked into the room where we hold sacrament meeting. And thus we have reached the point wherein I realized the magnitude of my error.

There were... EYES... on me. I saw girls gushing at me as I walked past them. I reached the row where my roommates sat, and Richard blurts out, "You look like an elvish princess!"
...My roommates swear they didn't tell him to. I'm not sure that I believe them. At any rate, it wasn't the last time today I got that comment. I can't tell you how many compliments I received today. Exquisite, beautiful, wow, gorgeous, I love it, wow, pretty, WOW... I heard them all repeatedly.

...
......
..........

I am -never- wearing that dress again.

It's the WEIRDEST feeling ever - walking into a room and having people stop and stare. I have no problem with having every eye in a room on me when I'm on stage, in a costume, pretending to be someone else. That's totally different. When it's just me, though, it's unnerving.

Besides, I know it shouldn't be so hard, but I always feel awkward accepting compliments from people. It makes me feel snobbish. Conceited. Pompous. All of the above. I'm in a synonym-ic mood tonight.

And perhaps worst of all, it would seem that that dress gave just enough incentive to Super-Awkward-Geek-Boy-Whom-I-Have-Been-Striving-For-Weeks-NOT-To-Encourage. Oh, yes. The one with B.O. that smells like onions. (I would know since he sat next to me during one of the meetings today. >.<)The one who thinks that just because I'm a gamer girl he can prattle on endlessly about the most inane aspects of games I've never heard of and couldn't care less about. (He tries to make it philosophical and applicable to actual laws of science. >.< Do you WANT to make me cry out of sheer boredom?!) He's one of those that's starting to feel the age gap between himself and the other singles in the ward and is getting desperate. The boy who will invite himself over 'to be social' and then just sits there and forces conversation out of us while my roommates and I TRY to suggest kindly and subtly that he should go because we have things to do. But does he go? No. He just sits there as we go about our business. So then I end up HIDING in the back rooms until he decides he's ready to go - which can be a -very- long time.

On a totally unrelated note, as I've been sitting here in front of my laptop, I have had the misfortune of sharing the room with a couple that will be married within two days' time. This is a most severe punishment that should be reserved for only the most despicable criminal offenders in this corner of the galaxy. As they've exchanged their... farewells for the night... I have attempted to drown them out by snatching at whatever song I could find in my head. This is usually reasonably effective since I'm pretty easily distracted by my own mind and tune out a lot of things anyway - whether I mean to or not. ...However, we just finished watching Enchanted. "I've been dreaming of a true love's kiss..." wasn't QUITE what I needed at the moment. Thanks, irony. Thank you so stinking much.

...And this is why today was a 'Why me?' kind of day. -____-() I suppose it really wasn't a terribly -bad- day. I just feel like whining. Oh, woe. Alas and alack.

I'll put up another post soon about something muchmuchMUCH happier. It's very happy stuff indeed. But it must wait because I have refrigerators to scrub for tomorrow's cleaning checks. Mm, scrumptious.


~~~~~~~~~~


Quote - Jess: "You're talking to a ~boy~?"
Me: "Yes, well... 48% of the world's population is male. Chances are fairly good that I'd have to communicate with one every now and then."
Jess: "Well, at least we're still winning."
Me: "Mmhmm. If we could only get their mothers to stop feeding them when they're young, they'd die out a lot faster."
Music - "How Does She Know," Enchanted
Mood - Unfortunate

2 comments:

dubby said...

lol -- great read. Now where is the picture of you in the dress?

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I loved your dress. I'm not sure that's what you wanted to hear, but the compliments were genuine at best.

Boys suck. Engaged couples suck. :)