Sunday, March 16, 2008

Am I A Dork?

I want honest answers to that question. From all who read this. Really.

I ask because of a pattern I've noticed throughout my life. It seems like most girls fairly consistently attract a certain type of boy over and over again. Regardless of whether or not that's what they want, that's what they get noticed by. For some girls it's 'bad boys,' for others 'nice guys,' flirts, brainiacs, athletes, whatever. For me... It's dorks. Shy guys. Geeks. Nerds. Awkward boys - I really can't see them as men regardless of their age because they're just not.

This recurring theme in the guys I've noticed who give me unwanted attention really makes me wonder - WHY?!

Is it because they see me as a female version of themselves? Do they place me on a level that makes me seem more attainable to them while other girls are generally out of reach? I make no secret of the fact that I have some nerdy interests. Yes, I read fantasy and science fiction. Yes, I watch anime. Yes, I love superheroes and I play Duneons and Dragons and I love old music. Heck - I've even worn a sweater-vest or two (when the occasion was appropriate). But do I really typify the qualities that make up the generic geek?
I have a lot of other perfectly normal interests - like art, cooking, dancing, theatre, the great outdoors, sports, even a few boy bands from years not so long past. >.<()
Do guys outside the spheres of nerd-dom see me as a geek while the ones within it see me as their best chance?

Or could it perhaps be that they sense that I'm too soft (or cowardly) to openly reject them? I've put on the tough girl facade a time or two when dealing with guys, but in general, I just hate hurting those that I perceive as being weak. And these boys definitely fit that bill. I can empathize with people who are ostracized by their peers because I was one of them. (I was a very weird kid, though I do think I've outgrown it enough to do all right for myself socially. I'm comfortable with myself.) Do I set myself up as a magnet for these socially unfortunate souls by being too kind?
Would it be better for me to stop trying to gently dodge their advances and be a little more catty? >.< I hope not. I hate seeing girls treat people that way.

------------------

Quote - "Those who say something is impossible are generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~Unknown
Music - "Kyrie," Mr. Mister
Mood - Pensive

4 comments:

dubby said...

Oooooohhhh, now. Don't be so hard on yourself. Dorks need girlfriends, too. And you are certainly more of a girlie-girl than Cathryn. Okay, that was really a stupid comment.

Seriously, now. Since this is a serious question.

I don't know the magic formula for what kind of guy is attracted to what kind of girl. But I really think the signals and flirting you put out tell what guys YOU are interested in and they respond. In general, I truly believe this is the kind of thing where guys are pretty much clueless and women have the power.

So why do you like dorks?

Obliviocelot said...

I like dorks... I'll take your dorks if you take my whiny-boys who think girlfriend = psychiatrist...

Obliviocelot said...

Why haven't you updated in days? What's wrong with you? Get on with it! /bonk!

Anonymous said...

I understand that it has been a while since you posted last, but I have to break the news to you.
ANYONE who uses a blog called "Ships Log" and calls themselves "the cap'n" is a bigtime dork. Sorry but it's the truth. I hope for your sake you have abandoned this blog and lon longer refer to yourself as "the cap'n". It really is sad. Have fun with the dork boys on the boat.